Ever notice how some accounts have that coveted blue check mark beside their names on Instagram? This article will explain what it means and how you can get one too!
What does it mean to be verified on Instagram?
Being verified on Instagram lets people know that your profile has been confirmed as an authentic account whether as a public figure, celebrity or global brand.
Your verification is shown with a blue checkmark next to your account name, which helps people know your account is legitimate and they can avoid any imposter accounts.
How to get verified on Instagram
In order to get verified, you must apply first. To do so, you must first go to your profile.
- Tap the menu icon in the upper right-hand corner.
- Go to Settings
- Go to Request Verification
- You must then fill in your account name, what you are going to be known as, and what category you want to fall under (influencer, brand, etc.)
- Upload a photo of your ID if you’re a person, or a legal or business ID if you’re using the Instagram for Business account.
- Hit Send
- You will then be notified eventually if you have gotten approved or not.
According to Instagram’s Terms of Service and Community Guidelines, your account needs to be the following to get verified:
- Authentic: Must represent a real person
- Unique: Must be the unique presence of the person or business it presents (only one account per person or business).
- Complete: The account must be public, have a bio, profile photo, and at least one post. No “add me” links to other social media services.
- Notable: Must represent a well-known person/brand. Instagram reviews accounts that are featured in multiple news sources, and they don’t consider paid or promotional content as sources for review.
What are the benefits of being verified by Instagram?
Getting verified on Instagram builds trust. If you have accounts impersonating you, then having the blue checkmark next to your name reassures your viewers and followers that you’re real.
This also gives you more brand awareness. Your profile will appear towards the top of the search and suggested accounts. It can also bring business opportunities to your company. Even if the potential partner hasn’t heard of you before, the check indicates that you’re a major leader in the industry, and sparks interest in collaboration with your business.
You can also get Instagram Links in your Stories. You can link your Instagram stories to blog posts, videos, websites, almost anything.
What to do if you can’t get verified by Instagram
If your profile hasn’t reached Instagram’s guidelines, there’s still a chance next time. In the meantime, make sure you’re consistently reaching your audience and engaging with them to improve your brand awareness.
- Use trending hashtags – These will get your posts into the “Top Posts” on hashtag searches.
- Make sure your content is unique – Use visually appealing photos/videos.
- Get discovered in the comments – when people see your thoughtful comments, they’ll most likely check out your feed and follow you.
- Instagram Advertising – target those who like your competitors, are interested in products like yours and get in front of as many people possible.
- Partner with influencers/businesses to get more followers – Collaborating with others is always an ideal way to grow your brand awareness.
Making sure your brand is consistent, authentic and valuable will increase your chances of obtaining that blue badge!